The Well Cafe, located in the EBCS building facing Telegraph Avenue at 5443 Telegraph, is currently taking a break for reflection and restructuring.
Here is the letter from Marielle Amrhein, explaining The Well’s current situation:
Dear Our Beloved Community,
We are so grateful for your support, patronage, love and care for The Well. There is much to celebrate at the end of 2017 and after our first 5 months in business. We are humbled and honored to share all the ways that we have been thriving in providing food and drink as medicine with integrity. We are pleased that we source all our food and herbs from small scale, local farmers, herbalists, and distributors, especially supporting Queer and POC vendors. We are pleased that all of our menu items are prepared fresh and made to order with love and attention. We are pleased that we have been paying our staff a living wage, especially important in the bay area. And yes, we pleased that we are busy, with lovely new and returning customers filling our space everyday! For all of this, we are immensely grateful and in awe.
Alongside these successes, we are struggling to create a financially sustainable business model. Since opening, our average monthly expenses are about $30,000 and our sales are $ 20,000, thereby incurring losses on the average of $10,000/month – an amount that the business, and my family cannot continue to carry the burden of. As many of you know, I also gave birth to my second child just three weeks after The Well opened, making my time and energy more limited during these past many months. And though our managers and staff have been rocking it, juggling the needs of my two small children while tending to the nascent Well has been challenging.
Given this reality, we are making the bold and hopeful decision to take a pause in our regular Well offerings. As of December 24th, we will close our doors and be on extended break, taking time to reflect, restore, and restructure our business so that we make rise up strong and solid for a more sustainable future. It is our intention to re-open after this period . . . and we also know that life is mysterious.
During this time, we are seeking your continued support and loyalty. And we ask for your prayers and patience with us.
Ways to Support Us and/or Stay Connected
- Help us Find a Business Partner. If you or someone you know has capital, time, expertise and is vision-aligned and wants to become a business partner, please contact me immediately
- Connect us with mentors and consultants in this industry who can provide support
- Inquire about joining our collective of folx organizing events, classes, meals while we are closed to the public
- Rent the space for your own event
- Invest capital in The Well
- Offer your feedback and ideas for an improved, sustainable Well Cafe (see our website for a form to submit).
- Come in before December 23rd for a meal, and shop our retail for holiday gifts! Bring all your friends
- Share your celebrations of The Well on social media, yelp, google business and with your friends and family.
Please continue to check our website, www.thewell-cafe.com, and social media (FB and IG) for updates and ways to stay connected.
Marielle Amrhein, Owner/Founder, and all of us at The Well Cafe